York University Tribunal – Job Overview
Office of Student Community Relations (OSCR)
POSITION: University Tribunal Member
A University Tribunal (UT) member makes an extremely important contribution to the life of students at York. The UT is comprised of students, faculty and staff volunteers who are appointed by the Vice-Provost Students upon recommendation by a selection committee consisting of current UT members. The appointment is for a two-year term and may be extended or renewed.
The UT member sits on hearing panels to adjudicate breaches of York’s non-academic Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities (The Code), and reviews appeals of Local Adjudication and Tribunal Hearing decisions.
Members receive extensive training and on-going development throughout the year. Training topics include the principals of natural justice, evaluating evidence, decision making, decision writing, sanctioning, and hearing procedures.
- must be a full-time Faculty or CPM Staff member
Duties and Responsibilities
- must attend all scheduled trainings and meetings, including an initial training program and regular development sessions
- prepare for any University Tribunal or Appeal Hearing in which they are participating
- attend all University Tribunal Hearings that the member is scheduled to attend
- complete REDI (Respect, Equity, Diversity and Inclusivity) tutorial
- other training as required
Skills and Expectations
- committed to fairness
- open-minded and non-judgmental
- demonstrate an interest in contributing positively to the community and upholding community values
- strong interpersonal skills
- excellent verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- strong listening skills
- maintain confidentiality at all times
- practice ethical behaviour
- proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- ability to adapt to changing/evolving Institutional operations environment
If you are interested in becoming a University Tribunal member please submit a letter of interest and your resume to the Office of Student Community Relations, to the attention of Ashley Wilches, email@example.com, 416-736-5231.
Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Application Deadline: December 15, 2020